At LaBry Family Dentistry, dental implants are artificial tooth roots that provide a permanent base for fixed or removable replacement teeth. The implant is made out of titanium, a lightweight, durable metal. Our dentist in Broussard, LA, can surgically place the implant into your jawbone, providing a secure foundation for your replacement teeth. Over time, the jawbone will fuse with the inserted titanium post in osseointegration. This is necessary for the implant to maintain strength and stability to support your replacement teeth. Once the implant is in place and the gums have healed, your dentist will place abutments and connectors that serve as anchors for the replacement teeth. These custom-made restorations can be made from porcelain to match your natural teeth to provide a seamless and natural-looking smile.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- A dental implant replaces the root of a tooth, and the crown is the visible part of your tooth that you can see when you smile.
- Dental implants look natural because they are made of porcelain, so they can closely match the color of your teeth. And unlike dentures, they don’t move or slip in your mouth when speaking or eating. Additionally, you won’t have any dietary restrictions with dental implants since you can chew normally without worrying about breaking your restoration.
- Dentures can interfere with your ability to speak correctly. But because the roots of the teeth are replaced in dental implants, you will be able to communicate clearly.
- Because dental implants are designed to replace teeth' roots, they help prevent bone loss in the jaw. Bone loss can lead to the deterioration of the facial structure and premature aging.
- Dental implants can last for a lifetime with the proper care. You can choose to replace abutments or crowns on your implants as needed to help prolong the life of your implants. However, you could keep your implant for a lifetime with good oral hygiene and regular dentist visits.
Are Dental Implants Safe?
Dental implants are surgically placed in your jawbone with a strong titanium post. They replace the missing teeth' roots and form a strong base for the replacement tooth or bridge to be attached to. The implant fuses with your bone over time through osseointegration and becomes a permanent part of your smile. They are considered one of the safest procedures in dentistry because they pose no risk of decay. Instead, it would help if you focused on keeping them clean by brushing twice daily and flossing once daily. Schedule regular checkups with your dentist for routine cleaning and examination.
Dental implants provide a foundation for replacement teeth that look, feel, and function like natural teeth. To learn more about the benefits of dental implants, visit LaBry Family Dentistry at 100 Tennyson Drive, Broussard, LA 70518, or call (337) 330-8480.